Blog Post #3 - Justify & Convince for Deeper Understanding
Over the last couple of weeks, we discussed the difference between Relational Understanding and Instrumental Understanding, as well as the idea of Convincing and Justifying our ideas.
Instrumental Understanding is the idea of "rules without reason", which is when people know the rules and procedures but don't understand the WHY behind these procedures. I find that there are many mathematical procedures that I know, but I may not be able to explain the WHY. For example, I recall memorizing the quadratic formula without understanding why it works. Instrumental
Relational Understanding is the idea of knowing both WHAT to do and WHY you do it. This type of understanding requires critical thinking where you must dig deeper to figure out how certain procedures and rules connect and how they can be applied. I noticed that through university my critical thinking skills have developed, which has allowed me to deepen my understanding allowing me to gain a relational understanding of concepts that I had an instrumental understanding of in high school.
Instrumental Understanding is more of a short term type of learning, where students may memorize formulas and concepts in order to apply them on tests or during other assessments in the unit. Relational Understanding is more of a long term type of learning, where students develop a deeper understanding of concepts, which helps them extend their knowledge into further problems. This understanding is easier to remember, as you are able to connect concepts to help understand other procedures.
Here's an article that I found interesting that relates these concepts of justification and the two types of understandings: STUDENT JUSTIFICATIONS IN HIGH SCHOOL MATHEMATICS


Comments
Post a Comment