Blog #8: Math resources for the classroom!

 Hey everyone!!

Today I wanted to share and discuss some of the resources that I have learned about over the last couple of months from the Ministry of Education site and the OAME website!

When I was first introduced to the OAME website, I had never heard of it and I had no idea how to navigate this site. I was overwhelmed because there were so many different resources, lots of different links and I was downloading zip-files to my computer by accident. Once I became familiar with the site and I was listening to other students' findings, I was able to navigate the OAME website comfortably!

In this post, I would like to share some of the great resources that I found through the sites, or that I was introduced to by other classmates! Here we go!

TIPS4RM: TIPS4RM stands for Targeted Implementation and Planning Supports for Revised Mathematics. This is a page on the Ontario Ministry of Education site that has unit plans, lesson plans, assessments, and other resources that you can use in your math classes for different grades from 7-12. The unit plans include individual lesson plans that are arranged with Minds-on activities, Action activities, and Consolidation activities! These documents even include the handouts or resources that you would need to teach the lesson, so there are so many great resources within the unit plans on this site!

Edugains: EduGains is another great site that lists resources, websites, and other tips (classroom strategies and tips) that you can use in your classroom. This site has resources for various subject areas, but specifically for math, there are curriculum/ministry documents listed, there are links to math games, and other strategies that you can use in your math class, like reflections, checklists, graphic organizers, etc. This site will be retired on June 30, 2021, so I am planning to download any documents that I find useful before it is taken down.

TVOLearn: TVOLearn is an amazing site that lists resources for grades 1-8 for different subject areas, but also offers online courses for grades 9-12. These courses have free lessons you can alter and take ideas from, while also providing these resources to your students if they need extra help or varying explanations. I think this site is very neat, as you can explore how a specific math course may look like, as this site also includes minds-on, action, and consolidation activities, with videos and other resources.

Khan Academy: Khan Academy is another great website that offers math videos to explain all different math topics. This site has videos from grades 1-12 and they are organized within the unit topics. The unit topics offer videos with practice problems, where students are given the opportunity to "master" the topic by completing all the videos and practice problems. I think this is a great resource to provide to your students, especially if they need more help with certain areas, and if they want to explore further at home!

Wired Math: Wired math is a website for grades 7-10 that includes math games. This site is a fun way to engage students, while also giving them the chance to construct their knowledge through gamification. This site organizes their games based on the unit topic, which is great because as a teacher, you can still give students choice, but you can narrow it down to let them choose a game within a specified unit.

Mathies: Mathies is a cool site that has games for students to play online, but there are also options to print out the activities. These games also identify which unit they fall within, which is handy to ensure you are presenting games that hit the curriculum expectations. There are also math tools listed on this site, such as graphing calculators, algebra tiles, fraction strips, and links to other math resources.

Math Central: Math Central is a great site that has a resource room that contains many different math problems that could be applicable for different contexts, that are organized in different math units. There is also a page called Math Beyond School, which brings forth different occupations and hobbies that include math. I think this is excellent because a lot of times in math classes, students ask "When will I use this in real life", so this site is great to let them explore how math is in their everyday lives.

GeoGebra: Geogebra is a great resource that students can use as an online manipulative (graphing calculator, geometry tools, 3-D planes, etc.). There are also tutorials and other online activities that students can learn from. I do find this site a bit complicated to use, so I would definitely try to become more familiar with the software before implementing it in my classroom.

Math is Fun: Math is Fun is a cute website that has different games, as well as short and simple explanations of different math concepts. I like this site because you can use it as a refresher when you are planning to teach the concepts, but you can also use this as a tool that students can use to clarify any fuzzy understandings. One issue that I find with this site is that the games don't identify which age or grade they fall within. I think that is important to include because you want to find games that are equivalent to your students' levels of understanding.

These are just some of the amazing resources that I have come across while exploring the OAME and the Ontario Ministry of Education websites. I hope that you enjoy using these resources and that you have discovered something new that you can use in your classroom!

Talk to you soon,

- Jenna :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #4: Metacognition in Mathematics... using your internal motor to question yourself!

Blog Post #5: What have I learned this semester? What does a good teacher look like?

Blog Post #1: Week 2 & 3 - Unpacking, Specializing and Generalizing